Ministry of Internal Affairs
romana engleza


You can be granted family reunification as a citizen of a country outside the European Union and European Economic Area only if you are the holder of a temporary residence permit valid for one year, of a EU Blue Card, of an ICT permit, of a “Mobile ICT” permit, of a long-term residence permit or if you are a beneficiary of refugee status or of subsidiary protection.

For whom you can request family reunification

As a sponsor, you can request family reunification for the husband / wife, for your unmarried minor children or for those of your spouse, including the adopted children for whom you or your spouse provide. Yours or your spouse’s 1st degree relatives in ascending line can also come on the basis of the reunification of the family, if they cannot provide for themselves and do not enjoy proper family support in the home country. Also, the family reunification can be made for yours or your spouse’s adult unmarried children, in case they cannot provide for themselves for medical reasons.

Unaccompanied minors who are beneficiaries of refugee status or subsidiary protection may request family reunification for first-degree relatives in ascending line or for the legal guardian, or when they do not exist or cannot be identified, for any one of their relatives.

Special situations

If you have a residence permit for performing scientific research activities, or are a holder of a EU Blue Card, of an ICT permit or of a “Mobile ICT” permit, you can request family reunification even if the validity of the residence permit is shorter than one year.

Endorsement of the application for family reunification

The first step in order to bring your family in Romania consists in obtaining the IGI favorable opinion. For this you must submit a number of documents to the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration in the county where you live. Here’s a list of those documents:​

a. application;

b. the marriage certificate / birth certificate or, where appropriate, proof of kinship, issued by the competent authorities, translated and legalized or apostilled according to the law

c. the statement in authenticated form which establishes that the family members will live together with you

d. copy of the document certifying your right to stay in Romania

e. proof  of legal ownership of the living space per house declared normal for a similar family in Romania

f. proof  of the means of support;

g. proof  of your insurance in social health insurance system

h. the written statement of the person sharing joint custody of the minor child for whom the sponsor is requesting family reunification, by which they give their consent for the child to live with the sponsor in Romania

i. copy of the travel document for the family member for whom family reunification is requested

The application for reunification of the family shall be approved if the following conditions are met:

a) there is no bigamy or polygamy;

b) the applicant holds a dwelling place deemed as normal for a similar family in Romania;

c) the applicant possesses means of support beyond those required for their own in accordance to the law, in the amount corresponding to the net minimum wage per each family member

d) the person for whom the family reunification is being requested must meet the following conditions:

– Possess a valid document for crossing the state border, which is supported by the Romanian state

– Not be included in the category of persons against whom the measure of interdicting the entry in Romania was imposed or who were declared undesirable

– Does not present a danger to national defense and security, order, health or public morals.

Settlement of the request is done within 3 months from the submission date. You receive the answer in writing, and if the application has been approved you will transmit the communication to the family members who will present it at the diplomatic mission or at the consular office, within 60 days from the date of issue together with the application for the long stay visa for family reunification.

The next step is obtaining the long stay visa for family reunification, from the diplomatic missions and consular offices of Romania in the state where your family members reside.

See a list of diplomatic missions and consular offices.



Skip to content