The Asylum and Integration Directorate (DAI) of the General Inspectorate for Immigration is the structure responsible for asylum and foreigners’ integration in Romanian society.
In this respect DAI:
- aims at ensuring unrestricted access to the asylum procedure for foreigners in need of international protection;
- ensures the registration, identification, and monitoring of the asylum seekers and of the persons who have received a form of protection in Romania;
- ensures the issuing and the renewal of identity papers and of travel documents for asylum seekers and for the persons who have received a form of protection;
- establishes which member state is responsible for examining an asylum application under the DUBLIN procedure;
- processes the applications for asylum in the administrative phase;
- researches and provides the necessary information from the countries of origin in order to solve the asylum applications;
- ensures the legal representation of the interests of the General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI) in cases that concern asylum procedures;
- provides accommodation, material and financial assistance to asylum seekers who have no means of support; provides counseling, medical care, etc. to asylum seekers;
- assists in the integration of people who have been granted a form of protection;
- provides assistance, support and guidance to integrate the foreigners with a legal right to stay in Romania;
- prepares and implements refugee resettlement operations in Romania;
- ensures the coordination and implementation of activities run in collaboration with the Center for urgent relocation in Timisoara according to the Agreement in this respect between the Romanian Government, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and the International Organization for Migration.
- collaborates with International Organizations and NGOs specializing in this field in order to coordinate the assistance offered by these based on the principle of complementarity and in compliance with the standards regarding asylum, stipulated by the national, communitarian and international legislation.
The reception, registering and processing of the asylum applications, providing assistance to asylum seekers during the procedure and assistance for integration are activities taking place at regional Centers for accommodation and procedures for asylum seekers located in Bucureşti, Giurgiu, Timişoara, Galaţi, Rădăuţi şi Maramureş, being territorial structures specialized in asylum issues.